The article I wrote last after last April’s General Conference was fun, so I thought I would continue the tradition. This time, I’ll include the best quotes from all sessions of conference, including Priesthood session. As with last conference’s article, I will include a poll for you to vote on your favorite quote. Just so you know, the quote that had the most votes by far last conference (49%) was the one by Dieter Uchtdorf, which is:
“Don’t judge me because I sin differently than you do!”
Below are my favorite quotes from General Conference this time.
Best Quotes from October 2012 General Conference
- Quentin Cook, a Mormon apostle, gave a talk addressing the challenges of unrighteousness in the world and the apathy followers of Christ have sometimes. As part of this, he discussed how some husbands mistreat their wives and the quote I liked was: God will hold men responsible for every tear they make their wives shed.
- Ann Dibb, the second counselor in the General Young Women’s presidency shared an experience of meeting a young girl who wore a t-shirt that stated I’m a Mormon…are you? She went on to state that if she were to make a t-shirt, she would have it read: I’m a Mormon. I know it. I live it. I love it. She then went on to describe what knowing, living, and loving the gospel means.
- Dieter Uchtdorf, Mormon apostle and counselor in the First Presidency, hit another home run. I had 5 quotes from his talk and had to narrow it down to just three. He discussed living our lives without any regrets and giving our best self each day. The two quotes I chose are: When it comes to living the gospel, we shouldn’t be like the boy who dipped his toe in the water and claimed he went swimming; Sometimes in life we get so focused on the finish line that we fail to find joy in the journey (this one is actually one that Thomas Monson said a few years back, so I should probably give him the credit for it.); and The deepest regrets of tomorrow can be avoided by following the Savior today.
- Gary Stevenson, the new presiding Bishop for the LDS Church, gave a great talk in Priesthood session (the session for just men) about making right choices in life. He said What you do, where you go and what you see will shape who you become.
- Henry B Eyring, an apostle and counselor in the First Presidency, gave a very excellent talk about giving our will over to God. Two quotes I liked were: Our own desires, rather than “Thy will be done” create a pavilion between us and God . He also said We can’t insist on our time table when the Lord has His own time table.
- Boyd K Packer is the acting President of the Quorum of the 12 apostles for the LDS Church. He shared a very thrilling story of when he was traveling years ago on church assignment in one of the Pacific Islands. They were traveling by boat and the waves and darkness hindered them from their destination. One of the lights on the shore was out as well, so they couldn’t make it safely to the harbor. They had to go around to another harbor. Relating this story to our spiritual lives, he said As we put our focus on the light of Jesus’ teachings, we’ll be guided to the harbor of spiritual safety.
- Linda Burton, the Relief Society President for the Church had a great quote in relation to the service we render to others. She said First observe, then serve.
- Jeffrey Holland gave a great talk on Jesus’ 12 apostles building the church after He had died. The quote in this talk that stood out to me was The crowning characteristic of love is loyalty.
- Daniel Johnson, of the Quorum of the Seventy said Our discipleship will be determined not by the trials we’re faced with, but how well we endure them.
- David Bednar, one of the apostles, shared an excellent talk on becoming fully converted to the gospel. He emphasized that having a testimony, or witness, of the gospel isn’t enough. We need to be fully converted to the Lord. He said: Knowing the gospel is true is a testimony. Staying true to the gospel is conversion.
Now it’s your turn! Select the quote you like the best in the poll below. If you don’t see a quote you liked or want to share a comment related to something you heard in October 2012 General Conference, please share.