Recently I wrote a post asking the question about what being a “Utah Mormon” means. I was surprised by the amount of visitors and controversy it stirred up. As stated in my purpose, it isn’t my intention to hurt anyone of any faith so in order to keep things light-hearted I thought I’d do something fun with the Utah Mormon thing to end the discussion on a positive note.
My father-in-law suggested a top ten list last night and I thought it would be fun. I’m going to have you help me with a top ten list. I have taken ten comments from readers of the post on Utah Mormon culture and will list them in random order. What I ask of you as a reader is to help me rank the top ten comments and in awhile I’ll share the results. In addition if you’d like to share any experiences or comments on any of these items, feel free to do so.
I have tons of relatives in Utah and I was born and have lived in Utah as well so for those of you in Utah I hope you realize that the term “Utah Mormon” is simply a stereotype that I’ve heard floating around out there and thought it would be fun to discuss. It isn’t my intention to hurt anyones feelings because heck, I’m probably a Utah Mormon myself!
O.k……(drum roll)….let’s get started!
What it Means to be a Utah Mormon Top Ten List
- I don’t know how to describe one, but I know one when I see one.
- “Utah Mormons” take Mormonism to the extreme
- “Utah Mormons” are characterized by their explicitives (Gosh!, Darn!, Heck!, and Fetch!)
- “Utah Mormons” think General Authorities are like rock stars (my wife loved this one…she shared with me an experience she had a BYU when some of her friends waited to see Elder Eyring and get their pictures and his autograph. When they came back they were pumped and going crazy…like you’d see at a rock concert
- “Utah Mormons” love green Jell-o
- Except for being on a mission, a Utah Mormon has never ventured outside of the “Mormon Corridor”
- “Utah Mormons” are nice, kind, and loving people
- “Utah Mormons” may take for granted what they have
- “Utah Mormons” are innocent in their knowledge of other faiths and/or cultures
- A “Utah Mormon” is someone who would be content living in Utah County all of their days